Couple Counseling / Marriage Therapy in Reno
Whether you (or your partner/spouse) have been to a couple therapist before or this is your first time, welcome. Marriage therapy is a specialization. We practice an effective, research-based approach known as Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) for Couples. Our therapeutic style with couples and individuals is active, non-judgmental and validating. Contact us with any questions, and to set up an appointment for an initial consultation.
Communication Challenges in Relationships
- In spite of loving each other, you and your partner can get caught in unhealthy communication or behavior patterns to the point of feeling that you are completely stuck.
- You might find that you are having the same arguments time and time again, trying but failing to feel understood.
- Or perhaps you avoid difficult conversations because you’re afraid of starting a fight, becoming avoidant of one another.
The Toll of Communication Breakdown on Closeness
- If you are like many couples entering therapy, your problems may have been going on for years.
- You or your partner may close down conversations, talk at length, or raise your voices without resolving anything.
- Difficulties in relating to each other will eventually erode the closeness and intimacy, if it hasn’t already.
- You may find that you’ve lost the joy or spark that initially attracted you to each other. Your relationship may feel empty. You may feel sad, lonely, and helpless to change it.
Rekindling the Connection
- Imagine being able to get beyond arguments you’ve had for years and feel good about yourself and your relationship again.
- Discover how to move beyond blocks to communicating with your partner in a way that leaves you feeling understood, and elicits compassion and caring.
- The clarity EFT couple therapy brings to your relationship lets you relax and respond tenderly to each other.
- You feel accepted. You feel embraced. The connection you have rebuilt sparks new passion and playfulness in your relationship.
The Drive for Connection is Instinctive and Lifelong
- From the very beginning of ours lives we are wired to form bonds and connection. This drive toward attachment is essential to our survival.
- This drive to find secure connection is a "cradle to grave" phenomenon and doesn't stop in infancy (Bowlby, 1979, p. 129).
When It's Time to Reach Out for Help
- Ideally, this is early on for you...when you recognize unhealthy relationship patterns showing up. Most couples start therapy more than 2 1/2-years after the onset of serious problems.
- Your relationship isn't a place where openness and responsiveness are encouraged and nurtured.
- When feelings of doubt and insecurity interfere with feeling like our authentic self.
- Because of the above, you've started questioning your significance in your partner's life.
- When there has been intimate betrayal.
EFT (Emotionally Focused Therapy) Can Provide Lasting Benefits
- Starting a course of Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) for couples with one of our experienced and well-trained EFT marriage therapists can be deeply transformative.
- Ours is an approach that has shown significant, long-lasting benefits in helping couples build stronger, more secure relationships (Beasley, C. C., & Ager, R., 2019).
- Consequently, this approach fosters a lasting resilience in the relationship.
To learn more, contact us and we'll take the time to talk with you about how EFT marriage therapy (centrally located in Reno) might work in your specific scenario. You deserve greater connection and understanding in your relationship and we can help you experience it.
How EFT Marriage Therapy Works: Building Stronger Bonds in Relationships
Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) for couples is a deeply transformative approach that has shown significant, long-lasting benefits in helping couples build stronger, more secure relationships. Grounded in research, EFT focuses on creating and strengthening emotional bonds between partners, fostering a secure, resilient, and more deeply connected relationship.
Enhanced Emotional Bonding
At the heart of EFT is the development of a stronger emotional bond between partners. Couples often find that they understand each other's deepest emotions better, leading to a profound sense of closeness and intimacy. This deep emotional connection is the cornerstone of a resilient relationship.
EFT helps couples break down the walls of miscommunication, enabling them to express their feelings and needs more openly and empathetically. Partners learn to listen to each other in a more understanding and non-judgmental way, which can transform conflicts into moments of connection.
Reduced Conflict and Increased Harmony
By understanding the underlying emotions and attachment needs, couples can move away from destructive patterns of conflict. EFT guides them to respond to each other in more supportive and constructive ways, reducing the frequency and intensity of arguments.
Healing from Past Wounds
EFT can be particularly effective in helping partners heal from past emotional injuries. Through the therapy, couples revisit these wounds in a safe environment, allowing for healing and forgiveness, which can be profoundly liberating.
Greater Resilience in the Face of Stress
Couples who undergo EFT often report increased resilience to stress, both within and outside their relationship. The secure bond formed through EFT provides a strong emotional support system, helping partners navigate life's challenges together more effectively.
Increased Satisfaction and Happiness in the Relationship
Research shows that couples who participate in EFT experience a significant increase in relationship satisfaction. This heightened satisfaction can lead to a more joyful and fulfilling life together.
One of the most striking aspects of EFT is its long-term effectiveness. Studies indicate that the improvements couples experience through EFT are not just temporary but are maintained over time, highlighting the lasting impact of the therapy.
Not Just a "Paid Listener" Approach
Instead, EFT for couples in Reno is a dynamic therapy process that fortifies bonds and fosters deeper connections through hands-on session experiences.
In essence, Emotionally Focused Therapy offers a path to a deeper, more fulfilling relationship, marked by improved communication, stronger emotional bonds, and a renewed sense of joy and contentment in being together. It's not just about fixing problems but about fostering a nurturing an enduring connection that supports both partners through life's journey.
Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples (EFCT) differs from some other couple therapies in important ways:
- EFT is an effective therapy based on solid research. Although results can't be fully guaranteed, EFT research is promising. Studies show 70% of couples experience lasting recovery from marital distress, and over 90% see significant improvements.
- EFT for couples aligns with our clinical approach of non-judgment and deep understanding. Notably, it avoids taking sides, a common complaint about couples counseling.
- EFT nurtures each partner's authenticity, autonomy, and effectiveness by making the relationship a secure base for individual growth.
We provide marriage counseling, relationship therapy, family therapy, couples counseling, premarital counseling, singles and couples workshops, family counseling, teen counseling, parenting guidance, help with divorce, relationship advice, as well as help with dating, love and communication.